Friday, January 20, 2012

DIY Handmade Gifts

So every year around Christmas time I kick myself for not starting my handmade Christmas gifts a little earlier. I love the idea of giving someone special something I've made with my own two hands.
Keeping in mind that there are so many other things to think about over the year (and other holidays to craft for - omg, Valentines day is coming up already!!) I thought I would make a mental note of some items that would be great to make. When some free time pops up (does that actually happen?) I can go back to my mental list and maybe start a project or two! 1. Burlap Table Runner
Who: This would make a great hostess gift. Every year, without fail, my family celebrates Christmas Eve at my aunties house and I would love to present her with this gorgeous runner. From the Living with Lindsay blog, this piece is a beautiful mix of the textures and, who isn't in love with ruffles.

2.Lion Taggie Toy

Who: Super fun gift for stocking stuffers or as a small gift for family friends who have babies. I love this so much because you can play around with textures and colours. It doesn't have to be a lion, I'm sure you could easier convert it into a puppy, a cat, or whatever your imagination can come up with. Chez Beeper Bebe blog has a tutorial for all your crafting needs on this one!

3. Family Portrait Cross Stitch

Who: Perfect for parents, newly married couple, or anybody! I'm pretty sure I almost pee'd my pants when I saw this. What, a cool cross stitch pattern? What personalized? OMG! I love absolutely every thing about this (tutorial at Martha Steward.com) and I can't wait to make one for my own home!

4. Heart "Felt" Bookmarks
Who: In my case, this is SO perfect for co-workers. Easy to make, inexpensive, and full of thought these would be so great for the 10 people in my office (tutorial from Simple Serendipities). Maybe I could even monogram each persons first initial on them.

5. Family Tree Embroidery

Who: Grandparents, in-laws or parents. This is such a lovely thoughtful gift and for me, I know my mother-in-law would love this. You can framed or not, it can be personalized to reflect things that are important to individual members of your family, and it can include whatever your heart desires! Love it. There was no tutorial for this one, but the picture can act as a source of inspiration for your own creation!

So now the easy part is done...choosing some handmade lovelies. The real work start soon....I HOPE! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment