Tuesday, March 16, 2010

In an Old Town Garden

I love spring! It's quickly approaching us and I just can't wait. This year, I'm most excited about starting a new garden at the Hand Crafted Cottage and what better place is there than Etsy to find some beautiful items to get it started?!


Here is a poem I found that I'd like to share, fitting with my garden theme, intertwined with some Etsy gems. Enjoy!


IN AN OLD TOWN GARDEN

by Lucy Maud Montgomery



Shut from the clamor of the street
By an old wall with lichen grown,

It holds apart from jar and fret

A peace and beauty all its own.



The freshness of the springtime rains
And dews of morning linger here;

It holds the glow of summer noons

And ripest twilight's of the year.



Above its bloom the evening stars
Look down at closing of the day,

And in its sweet and shady walks

Winds spent with roaming love to stray,



Upgathering to themselves the breath
Of wide-blown roses white and red,

The spice of musk and lavender

Along its winding alleys shed.



Outside are shadeless, troubled streets
And souls that quest for gold and gain,

Lips that have long forgot to smile

And hearts that burn and ache with pain.



But here is all the sweet of dreams,
The grace of prayer, the boon of rest,

The spirit of old songs and loves

Dwells in this garden blossom-blest.



Here would I linger for a space,
And walk herein with memory;

The world will pass me as it may

And hope will minister to me.





1 comment:

  1. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete